Re: [Monotone-devel] mtn copy anyone?

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] mtn copy anyone?
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 11:41:33 +0200

Hi,

Brian May wrote:
I would prefer we stayed out of this mess. Don't explicitly track
history, but maybe record some sort of pointer indicating where the
file came from, if required.

Over time and considering importing or exporting to other VCSes, that will provoke an ever nastier mess, IMO. The purpose of a VCS is to keep track of history, not to write a textual log and let the user figure what history looks like.

Why can't we provide both copy-like operations with the different merge semantics and let the user choose what she wants?

- a snapshot copying command, which does not merge future changes from the source file to the target file. (symmetric?)

- a branch copying command, which - sort of - branches a single file and merges changes to the source. (asymmetric?)

Of course, both methods bring up some things to think about. I'm brainstorming somewhat on that:

What if a user no longer wants to merge the changes from the source file, i.e. 'detach' it? Can we do that for real branches? No, we don't really need to, because merging is an explicit operation and not done automatically. We could do the same for copied file and require further merges to be done explicitly. OTOH, snapshot coping would always give you a way to 'detach' the file again.

Wouldn't the snapshot copying ability solve the DieDieDie merge problem? To revoke a deleted file, do a snapshot copy from the revision where the file still existed and merge that with your new head.

What do you think?

Regards

Markus