Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone fails to detect certain changes in files

From: Nuno Lucas
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone fails to detect certain changes in files
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 18:56:46 +0100

On 8/27/07, Jack Lloyd <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 26, 2007 at 10:54:59AM -0700, Zack Weinberg wrote:
>
> > This is probably worth adding to the FAQ, and perhaps also reporting a
> > Linux kernel bug - file mtime certainly ought to be updated for
> > mmap-writes.
>
> Already known, it looks like:
>
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/2/20/255
>
> "Attached are some changes to address the problem that modifications
> to the contents of a file, made via an mmap'd region, do not cause the
> modification time on the file to be updated."

An update to that patch here:

http://readlist.com/lists/vger.kernel.org/linux-kernel/61/308450.html

I did a search on the full changelog of the 2.6.21 [1] and 2.6.22 [2]
Linus tree and it wasn't there, but the two guys talking were from
RedHat and Novel, so it's possible people with kernels from
RedHat/Fedora and Suze already have them patched (if using recent
kernels, that is).

There was a recent kernel thread about the atime implementation on
Linux [3], so it's possible the two patches end being applied at the
same time (as they are related).

Best regards,
~Nuno Lucas

[1] http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ChangeLog-2.6.21