[Monotone-devel] Corruption Spreading Through Sync

From: Anthony Edward Cooper
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Corruption Spreading Through Sync
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 10:11:33 +0100

   Hi again,

One question I was asked at work yesterday... What happens if a database gets corrupted due to an underlying hardware failure and the user, not knowing this, syncs his database? Not such a stupid question as I have had situations where drivers don't report disk errors, you just get weird behaviour (e.g. IDE disks under Solaris). We are not bothered about the one corrupted database - just that corruption spreading.

Am I correct in assuming that the either one party or both involved with the sync exchange checks the data being received/sent. Say by rechecking the hashes on all data transferred?

   Many thanks in advance.

   Cheers,

   Tony Cooper.