Re: [Monotone-devel] SQL logic error, SQLite restore problems, etc.

From: Ralf S. Engelschall
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] SQL logic error, SQLite restore problems, etc.
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 13:42:48 +0200

On Tue, Sep 04, 2007, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> 1. copying repository via raw SQLite dump/restore fails
>    ----------------------------------------------------
>
>    This is actually an SQLite problem (and I will forward to the SQLite
>    community, too), nevertheless you should be aware here, too. A
>    simple...
>
>    | $ sqlite3 openpkg-import.db .dump | sqlite3 openpkg-copy.db
>
>    ...fails with lots of errors like:
>
>    | SQL error near line NNN: String or BLOB exceeded size limit
>
>    The problem seems to be a too small input buffer in the sqlite3(1)
>    command line tool. Ok, nothing we can do here for Monotone, but at
>    least nasty as I often backup SQLite database dumps and it is nasty
>    if one cannot read them in again (easily). BTW, this occurs for
>    mostly all Monotone databases I tried...
> [...]

For your information: as Joe Wilson discovered (and I was able to
verify it) the problem is that Monotone still uses SQLite 3.4.2 while
my sqlite3(1) above was already from SQLite 3.5.0 The difference
is in the compile-time define SQLITE_MAX_SQL_LENGTH. In 3.4.2 this
is still rather large while in 3.5.0 it is just 1M (definetely too
small for Monotone).

If one compiles SQLite 3.5.0 with at least -DSQLITE_MAX_SQL_LENGTH=10000000
(10M) the problems are gone. Please keep this in mind when you
upgrade the SQLite copy embedded into Monotone! The default in
sqlite/sqliteLimit.h is too small for Monotone starting with SQLite
3.5.0!

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       address@hidden
                                       www.engelschall.com