Re: [Monotone-devel] SQL logic error, SQLite restore problems, etc.

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] SQL logic error, SQLite restore problems, etc.
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 09:21:18 -0700

On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 01:42:48PM +0200, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
> For your information: as Joe Wilson discovered (and I was able to
> verify it) the problem is that Monotone still uses SQLite 3.4.2 while
> my sqlite3(1) above was already from SQLite 3.5.0 The difference
> is in the compile-time define SQLITE_MAX_SQL_LENGTH. In 3.4.2 this
> is still rather large while in 3.5.0 it is just 1M (definetely too
> small for Monotone).
>
> If one compiles SQLite 3.5.0 with at least -DSQLITE_MAX_SQL_LENGTH=10000000
> (10M) the problems are gone. Please keep this in mind when you
> upgrade the SQLite copy embedded into Monotone! The default in
> sqlite/sqliteLimit.h is too small for Monotone starting with SQLite
> 3.5.0!

I believe this only applies for dump/load, where one has to dump all
of the actual file data into the sql string directly?  Monotone itself
uses the sqlite3_bind_* apis to store large objects into the database,
and I *guess* (though am not quite certain) that SQLITE_MAX_SQL_LENGTH
does not apply.

"If you can explain how you do something, then you're very very bad at it."
  -- John Hopfield