Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone Commit Template

From: Ralf S. Engelschall
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone Commit Template
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 12:49:34 +0200

On Sat, Sep 22, 2007, Timothy Brownawell wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-09-22 at 22:25 -0600, Pablo Delgado wrote:
>
> > Someone recommended that I started working on something that I feel
> > bothers me or I need. Well, one of thing I miss is the commit
> > templating capability that cvs has. This feature allows the repository
> > manager or project leader to establish the basic structure of the
> > commit message that they wish to use for their project.
>
> > 1) What does everyone think of this idea?
>
> Yes. I'm surprised we don't have this yet, I know it was discussed
> before and I don't recall any objections.
>
> > 2) Should a template file be stored in _MTN maybe call template?
> > 3) Should the template be stored in the DB, so that all developers
> > that work on a specific project gets the wanted template when
> > performing a commit?
>
> It should probably be in the project root like .mtn-ignore is.

Yes, I also recommend to use something like a .mtn-message (or whatever
it is named) as this way it automatically becomes part of the DB (so
all developers have it) and can be versioned, too. And on "mtn ci" let
Monotone search for those files in all directories (current and parents)
up to the workspace root directory.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       address@hidden
                                       www.engelschall.com