Re: [Monotone-devel] [RFC] Monotone NETSYNC Hook Extension & Abstraction

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] [RFC] Monotone NETSYNC Hook Extension & Abstraction Layer
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 08:39:36 -0700

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 10:40:55AM +0200, Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> I'm thinking of the transaction multiplexing as a kind of a hack around
> sqlite's lack of fine grained locking (which would allow multiple
> concurrent transactions). Instead of adding yet another hack (manual
> redo log, sort of) I'd rather add support for a real RDBMS [1]. For the
> server side part of the netsync story, that would make things simpler
> and faster.

I'm not sure the solution is as simple as that.  Postgres isn't magic;
are you sure you aren't just moving the problem around?  Which
transaction isolation level would you be planning to use?

> BTW: is netsync protocol documented somewhere? If not, I'm happy to
> create such a document, as I'm trying to figure out the details anyway.

Just in the (occasionally exhausti(ve|ng)) comments in netsync.cc and
netcmd.*

Electrons find their paths in subtle ways.