Re: [Monotone-devel] [RFC] Monotone NETSYNC Hook Extension & Abstraction

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] [RFC] Monotone NETSYNC Hook Extension & Abstraction Layer
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 15:59:25 -0700

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 08:35:35PM +0200, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2007, Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> > I'm not sure I fully understand what you are doing. From reading the patch,
> > I think you are caching (in memory) one revision and it's certs until you
> > can decide if it is acceptable, right? Do the certs of a revision always
> > follow the revision in netsync?
>
> According to our discovery, in regular NETSYNC data flow: yes. But one
> could hack a Monotone client and force it to do it differently, so one
> cannot rely on this.

In such a case monotone should (already) drop that cert -- the intent
is that if a netsync operation is interrupted at any point, it leaves
behind a fully consistent database, and one of the consistency
properties is "if we have a cert on rev R, we also have rev R".

Details are all that matters; God dwells there, and you never get to
see Him if you don't struggle to get them right. -- Stephen Jay Gould