Re: [Monotone-devel] Break after kill_rev_locally

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Break after kill_rev_locally
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 13:46:23 +0200

Ludovic Brenta schrieb:
> "Ralf S. Engelschall" <address@hidden> writes:
>> For me this looks like "mtn db kill_rev_locally <rev>" does not remove
>> _all_ related information of <rev> and that some remaining/dangling
>> information causes the subsequent commit to break. Hmm...
>>
>> Unfortunately, I was not able to repeat this with a simple test where I
>> created a fresh database, performed three commits and killed the third
>> commit.... :-(
>
> I had the same, or a very similar symptom after killing the head of a
> branch that happened to be a propagate (A to B) node.  I then did "mtn
> propagate B A" (which was what I really intended) and got an
> exception.  The killed revision and the new revision had the same
> revision ID.
>
> To correct the problem, I "sync"ed the offending database into a fresh
> one and could then proceed with the propagate and commit.

The problem is already "fixed" on mainline and goes into 0.37. The
roster which is attached to each revision is not removed, thus if you
try to commit the same revision again it cannot store the roster (which
has then the same revid) again. The fix now just checks if the roster
exists before a revision is committed, and if it exists, skips this step.

There have been long discussions and explanations why we do not remove
the roster on kill_rev_locally, please search the mail archive if
interested in the conclusions.

Thomas.

--
only dead fish swim with the stream: http://thomaskeller.biz/blog