[Monotone-devel] PCRE landed

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: [Monotone-devel] PCRE landed
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 00:06:28 -0700

Since Richard is in favor and Nathaniel hasn't said anything, I went
ahead and landed the PCRE branch.  It's my hope that this has no
visible effects at all, beyond not needing boost.regex anymore; let me
know if there are problems.  I updated the Debian dependencies; it
does not appear that the rpm .spec file has dependencies that
granular.

It is possible to use an external PCRE library by giving
--with-system-pcre to configure, but this is not the default.

My impression is that, while external Boost libraries are now not
needed, to get the header-only libraries that we still use, people
building from source will still have to go through the trouble of
building the whole of Boost.  I looked briefly into the possibility of
bundling the remaining Boost components that we use; in principle it
would be easy (boost even includes a utility to do this).  However,
the sheer number of files it would involve is rather daunting.

$ bcp --list --scan --boost=/usr/include *.cc *.hh | grep '^boost/' | wc -l
1271

Individual Boost headers (I checked format.hpp and shared_ptr.hpp)
seem to expand to about 300 sub-headers a pop, with not much overlap.

Thoughts?
zw