Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [Monotone-commits-diffs] Revision 33eb2173fe9b5

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [Monotone-commits-diffs] Revision 33eb2173fe9b55da6b26464380c68b8c02638a68
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 20:42:30 -0600

Zack Weinberg wrote:

> Whatever happened to the suggestion of prefixing every pathname with a
> sequence of "../" as necessary to make them relative to the original
> working directory?  (And of course removing any redundant bits.)  Then
> "." would be unambiguously the root if the command was executed in the
> root, and if you were somewhere else the root would be "../../.." or
> something like that.

I was just looking at the net.venge.monotone.experiment.relative-paths
branch which was a first crack at doing this. This branch pre-dates your
path changes though so it needs an update.

I'm still in favour of this approach, so I'll update things to work with
the new path code and try and come up with a formatting function for
path output.

Are there still character set issues that a formatting function might
not be able to get right though? For example, the output of ls known
might be going to the user and need to be in their specified character
set or it might be going down a pipe to another script and need to be in
utf8. I'm not sure about this though so someone with more character set
savvy can chime in.

Cheers,
Derek