Re: [Monotone-devel] "mtn clone" hangs

From: William Uther
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] "mtn clone" hangs
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 12:05:57 +1100

On 11/11/2007, at 8:57 PM, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

I tried to use "mtn clone", but in all my tests it hangs endless:

| $ /usr/opkg/bin/mtn clone -b FreeBSD.snapshot.src file:///v/freebsd/web/x/freebsd-snapshot.db y
| mtn: setting default server to file:///v/freebsd/web/x/freebsd-snapshot.db
| mtn: doing anonymous pull
| mtn: setting default branch include pattern to 'FreeBSD.snapshot.src'
| mtn: connecting to file:///v/freebsd/web/x/freebsd-snapshot.db
| mtn: finding items to synchronize:

There is no output at all after the "finding items to synchronize". Is
this a known bug or do I'm using "mtn clone" incorrectly?

Hrm, it looks like this should work, but it is a weird usage.

If you have a local database (you're using a file:// URL to point at the db), why are you using clone rather than checkout? i.e. are you sure you don't just want:

mtn co -b FreeBSD.snapshot.src --db=/v/freebsd/web/x/freebsd- snapshot.db y

Having said that, the clone command should work. It is essentially a mixed command that does 'mtn init', 'mtn pull' and 'mtn co' all at once. It seems that the 'mtn pull' part is freezing. The first thing I would check is if the commands work individually. Can you execute these three commands:

mtn db init --db=local.db
mtn pull --db=local.db file:///v/freebsd/web/x/freebsd-snapshot.db FreeBSD.snapshot.src
mtn co --db=local.db FreeBSD.snapshot.src y

My guess is that the second command will freeze in the same place as 'clone' did. And then I'll ask if you're using Windows... file:// access to local repositories forks a sub-process to read the file, and that sometimes gets wedged on Windows. If that is the case, then you've come across a 'known issue' which, as far as I know, noone is actively working on. Try avoiding file:// URLs. Which leads us back to what I said first; why are you using clone and not checkout?

Be well,

Will         :-}