Re: [Monotone-devel] hang on Win32/MinGW with sync file:

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] hang on Win32/MinGW with sync file:
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 19:04:28 -0500

Matthew Gregan <address@hidden> writes:

> At 2007-12-03T06:59:26-0500, Stephen Leake wrote:
>> I forgot to mention that this seems to be a bug in the pipe
>> implementation on Win32.
> Yeah, the Win32 pipe code is pretty buggy.  Rather than trying to debug it,
> I think the best solution is to toss it out, import Nathan Myers's Win32
> socketpair.c into our tree, and replace the existing pipe code with a cross
> platform implementation that uses socketpair().
> I started working on doing exactly this a while back but got busy with other
> stuff.  I'll try to find some time to work on it again soon.

I had a similar thought; use TCP sockets instead of Win32 pipes.

Can you point me to a URL for socketpair.c? I could look at
implementing it as well.

Although I think using sockets would open up a security hole; file:
runs the server with --no-transport-auth. So for a brief time an
external machine could attach to the server.

-- Stephe