[Monotone-devel] building 0.38 on AIX

From: Kelly F. Hickel
Subject: [Monotone-devel] building 0.38 on AIX
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 07:59:07 -0600

I tried to get an AIX buildbot running awhile back, but hadn’t tried since the binary boost requirement was removed, so I thought I’d give it a try with 0.38

I’ve actually got a .38 binary built that runs, haven’t tried the tests yet, but I had to hack the Makefile a bit and wanted to see what folks thoughts were about the right way to do it.

The issue is that unix/tester-plaf.o gets included into libplatform.a, but needs symbols defined in tester.cc to actually link.  The AIX linker is fairly pedantic about unresolved symbols, often to the point on insanity in my opinion.  If I remove unix/tester-plat.o from the .a, then I can build the mtn binary.

So, the question is: should the generated Makefile be putting unix/tester-plaf.o into libplatform.a? If so, how do we fix the unresolved symbols? Adding tester.o to the .a is likely to be an issue, since that file contains a main() function.

--

Kelly F. Hickel
Senior Product Architect

See Business Work