[Monotone-devel] Re: Replace key with new one (same key ID)

From: Lapo Luchini
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Replace key with new one (same key ID)
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 15:31:24 +0100

Boris wrote:
> A developer lost his key and generated a new one (with the same key ID).
> He sent his new public key to me and asked me to update the central
> monotone server everyone uses to sync with. Can I simply drop his old
> key and add his new one? Or will this be a problem as his old key has
> been used before and has been copied around when developers sync'ed?

Different keys with same key ID are currently not supported (support is
planned for future revisions, using the hash of the key material instead
of the key id to identify them): it *will* generate many problems.
The fastest fix is for him to create a key with a DIFFERENT key id.
Do NOT delete the old key of the developer or old revisions committed by
him won't be valid anymore, granting furter havoc (though he can re-sign
them with the new key, with some "mtn cert" tricks... ask for more infos
if interested).

  Lapo