Re: [Monotone-devel] unexpected behavior from "merge_into_dir" + "propag

From: Daniel Carosone
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] unexpected behavior from "merge_into_dir" + "propagate"
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 08:29:01 +1100

On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 11:30:00PM +0100, Lapo Luchini wrote:
> OK. So far, so good.
> Of course, I know from experience, when the "sub" library will be
> updated I will only need a nice "mtn propagate sub main" to get the
> latest changes.
> But as I committed changes in the main project.. I just said to myself:
> what about propagating in the other direction? I never read about it, I
> don't think it was supposed to work that way... but let's just try:
> what I get is "no merge necessary; putting
> ad521c121cd82b0255e132b7ab2cee3e64e3c681 in branch 'sub'"
>
> DUH? How come the full revision of the 'main' branch can be a valid
> revision for the 'sub' branch???

Agreed. This is very surprising and unexpected for a user.

I think it only happened because the rev you were propagating back to
the libs branch was itself a rev created by propagating from the libs
branch to the mainline.  In other words, this node is already the
merge of the heads of the two branches -- and so the short-circuit
logic that decides it can just add a cert has kicked in.

If this isn't true - if you've committed more changes on mainline -
what happens?  If there is a check to stop you doing what you're
doing, it needs to also take effect for the cert-only case.

--
Dan.