Re: [Monotone-devel] Future of monotone

From: Jens Finkhäuser
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Future of monotone
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 11:24:26 +0000

On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 10:18:17PM +1100, Brian May wrote:

>     jack-monotone> - support of symlinks
>
> Just curious, why do you want to support symlinks?
  Symlinks would be great, yeah. I've got use-cases, and while I'm aware
I could circumvent the issues I'm having, it'd be nicer to just support
symlinks.

> Maybe it would be better without? Consider the possibility of checking
> out the source code to some project and editing a file, without
> realizing somebody (either accidently or maliciously) replaced it with
> a symlink to something under /etc.
  Your local filesystem permissions should take care of that problem. If
not, it's IMHO a misconfiguration of your box. But even if you don't
want to take that stance, just having relative symlinks supported would
be a major improvement (in fact, relative symlinks are all I personally
need).

  Jens