Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Future of monotone

From: Julio M. Merino Vidal
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Future of monotone
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 12:32:58 +0100

On Jan 29, 2008, at 12:22 PM, Bruce Stephens wrote:

Thomas Moschny <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

We also should have a look at what other VCSs do here - does
e.g. git discriminate between author and signer?

"Signing" is much less significant in git.

Having one person commit something that someone else authored is
routine (it's the way that most public git projects operate), and yes,
git distinguishes committer and author.  Ordinarily the tools show the
author of commits.  Quite separately, it's conventional to put lines
in commit messages like "Signed-off-by:", "Acked-by:", "Reviewed-by:"
to indicate various kinds of approval of a commit.  (In git, the
commits (including the log messages) invoke the history DAG.)

Which to me is wrong because you are then putting meta-data inside a free-form (commit message) field. We'd easily handle those with separate certs, being signer and author just a subset of them.