Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Re: Re: Re: How will policy branches work?

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Re: Re: Re: How will policy branches work?
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 18:07:44 +0100

Hi,

Boris wrote:
Yes, that's fine. I want people to do what they want but only in projects they are allowed to work on - which means projects they received through their monotone database. Other projects (in my database) they are not assigned to should not be transferred to their database - no matter if they sync with a central monotone server or with other developers. I understand that there won't be 100% security. But if I can tell monotone not to send around all files between developers by default and if not every developer has to maintain the very same configuration as on the central server that would already be helpful.

Use multiple projects and let your developers only sync to the central repository. Prevent trusted developers from syncing with untrusted ones (that's a requirement anyway, in such a setup - how you are going to establish that is way out of monotone's world).

What kind of permissions can be set in policy branches? Basically the same which can be set today with the files write-permissions/read-permissions?

Please keep in mind, that "policy branches" do not exist, yet. And there are about as may ideas, what it should be, as monotone developers are around here.

If you want anything productive within a reasonable time frame, I'd advice you to not count on policy branches, just yet.

Regards

Markus