Re: [Monotone-devel] mtn:// sync

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] mtn:// sync
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 12:19:52 -0400

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 7:58 AM, Timothy Brownawell <address@hidden> wrote:
>  I'm concerned about sane handling of defaults, since the server/URL is
>  remembered separately from the include/exclude patterns, and about there
>  being two places to specify include/exclude patterns. Right now it just
>  ignores any separate include/exclude arguments if given a mtn:// URL,
>  and uses "*" if the query string is empty.

I think good UI would be to merge information from all available
sources into the URL format, complain if it's contradictory, and just
remember the URL.  Perhaps also translate the stored database
variables.

(I agree with Chad downthread that having to remember to URL-encode
things like *, in a command line context, would be annoying.  Also, if
we keep --include/--exclude available for automate users, then GUIs
don't have to implement that either.)

Can we maybe restrict get_netsync_connect_command and friends to
defining proxy/tunnel operations?  No, I don't have a precise
definition of that, but I'd like it to be for special cases only and
not redundant with the command line.

zw