Re: [Monotone-devel] fatal: std::logic_error: roster_merge.cc:528: invar

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] fatal: std::logic_error: roster_merge.cc:528: invariant 'I(left_name == right_name)' violated
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 21:37:59 -0600

Thomas Keller wrote:
> Markus Schiltknecht schrieb:
>>> That suggests (at least to me) there is a conflict in the name of the
>>> directory and not in a name within the directory. But it could be that
>>> I am not a native English speaker.
>>  [...]
>> I'm open to suggestions for better wordings.
>
> I translated "name" to the German word for "entry", so an improved
> message could be

More detail on the type of entry (file or directory) is provided in subsequent messages issued after describing the conflict itself. I think "name" is better than "entry" here since *none* of the other conflict messages use "entry" to describe an arbitrary node. They are all specific about files or directories as Zack suggested quite a while ago. This makes the number of messages rather large, as I'm sure you're well aware, having translated them all. ;)

I put quite a lot of effort into achieving this so I'd rather not throw it out the window in a few cases here and there just because that's easy. We should stick with specific messages or go back to generic messages in all cases.

I also think that "in the directory" is much better than the earlier "for the directory" myself. The latter hints that the directory is in conflict, rather than the thing in the directory.

One minor nit. I did make a rather painstaking effort in the improved messages to issue them one per line, rather than the multi-line message (with embedded newlines) below. I haven't given this one much thought yet and I'm not overly attached to the current formatting but if you look over all of the other messages in the roster_merge.cc conflict stuff you'll hopefully pick up on the general theme. I'll have a look myself too and see if I can come up with an improvement. In general I would really like to keep all of the conflict messaging consistent, if possible.

> conflict: duplicate entry 'x' in the directory
>            named 'bar' on the left and
>            named 'foo' on the right.
>
>> (And I think there's a
>> whole branch dedicated to improve these non-content confilct (ncc) error
>> messages. Or at least there was some recent discussion.)
>
> This was already merged into head, AFAIK.

Yeah, at least the branch I was working on has been merged. I can't think of another branch also working on this but there might be one. If there is, it's probably got a lot of catching up to do.

I did very much appreciate seeing the great bug report and the almost instantaneous response to it so thanks to all involved! I was mildly concerned that we would find some problems like this in the new messaging because of all the details.

Cheers,
Derek