Re: [Monotone-devel] url schemes

From: Thomas Moschny
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] url schemes
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 19:11:33 +0100

On Saturday 29 March 2008 Philipp Gröschler wrote:
> To become more technical again: when in some distant future these URL
> features become available, would it then be possible for just any
> application to connect to a running 'mtn serve' process via network,
> issue one or more HTTP requests and get the relevant answers, without
> the need for this application to speak netsync?

The (experimental) nvm.nuskool branch already provides something similar: You
can, via scgi, connect a mtn process to a webserver and it will serve
json-over-http requests. This is bidirectional: you can query for revisions,
files and file deltas, and you can send new ones back. The new gsync command
(also in this branch) syncs a local database against such a server.

Meanwhile, I wrote a (quick'n'dirty) twisted plugin. It serves mtn content
(read-only, for now) via http and json, over a tcp or a unix domain socket.
Here, the requests are not coded as post-data in json, but directly in the
url, very similar to those mentioned in the thread. I think I'll use that for
tracmtn, so it will show up in a branch soon.

Regards,
Thomas