Re: [Monotone-devel] library-build progress report and request for help

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] library-build progress report and request for help with botan
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 15:40:08 +0200

Hi,

Zack Weinberg wrote:
On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 12:37 PM, Zack Weinberg <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 6:41 AM, Markus Schiltknecht <address@hidden> wrote:
 > I was trying to keep the current, stripped botan variant, so as to keep
 > changes to a minimum. That one gets propagated from ... uhm...
 > au...matthew.something.somewhere... see botan/README.monotone, I've updated
 > comments in there.

 I'll look at that.  I *think* the fix is simple - it appears to just
 want one more file - but I was a little scared of the merge process
 last night.

First of all, have you pulled from my server, nabagan.bluegap.ch? AFAICT that's the only place hosting the newest revisions of that branch. (As I couldn't push to the original server, nor monotone.ca).

If we stick to that special and troublesome stripped botan variant, we should first make sure we all have access to that branch. Richard, can you organize write permissions to "au.asn.ucc.matt.botan.monotone-2" for at least me and Zack on monotone.ac? Or shall we better rename that branch to "nvm.something..."? OTOH, that would pull the whole botan repository into the monotone namespace (i.e. net.venge.monotone*) which is what Matthew was trying to avoid.

Ok, I've confirmed that the major problem with the botan subdirectory
is that readme.txt is missing, but I'm not 100% sure I understand how
to pull in things from au.asn.ucc.matt.botan.monotone-2 ... the file
is in the Attic there.  Before I do anything I would appreciate it if
someone could confirm that this is the right approach.

The Attic is to avoid die die die merge problems. Just move readme.txt from the Attic back to it's original location. That way, propagating from net.randombit.botan keeps working as expected.

1) in aaumb, mtn mv Attic/readme.txt readme.txt ; commit.
2) copy the file from the aaumb checkout to a nvm.botan checkout's
botan subdirectory, "mtn add" it, and add it to EXTRA_DIST in the
top-level makefile.  Commit.
3) Propagate from nvm.botan to nvm.
4) Propagate from nvm to nvm.library-build.  (I think the file will
just magically appear, because the "botan" subdirectory in
nvm.library-build has the same inode as the one in nvm... am I right?)

That looks correct. You could even skip propagating to nvm and instead propagate from nvm.botan to nvm.library-build directly.

This updating process is rather expensive in terms of work needed for an upgrade of the provided botan version. I was hoping that we can replace that process with simply dropping a tarball of the newest botan library into our botan/ subdirectory and automate the rest.

Of course, if the build process (configure.pl and make) would change, we'd still have to adapt. But that's much less work than having to manually add, replace or delete files around, as I had to do in the past.

So, opposed to the other subprojects, I'd now vote for removing our stripped botan variant, including that staging branch (the aaumb one) and land a (full) botan 1.7.4 there, for the sake of simplifying later upgrades.

Regards

Markus