Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone upgrade policy for the SQLite copy?

From: Ralf S. Engelschall
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone upgrade policy for the SQLite copy?
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 12:59:54 +0200

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 4:41 AM, Markus Schiltknecht <address@hidden> wrote:
> >  Looks like I've misread the warning from their migration page. See
> > http://www.sqlite.org/34to35.html, that one states:
> >
> >  > SQLite version 3.5.0 introduces a new OS interface layer that is
> >  > incompatible with all prior versions of SQLite
> >
> >  Obviously they really mean the "interface layer" exclusively, but not the
> > on-disk format itself. Thus it's all good and I beg you pardon for the
> > noise.
>
> Yeah, that scared me a bit too, but upon reading more of their docs,
> I'm pretty sure that's an *internal* API, only relevant to people who
> (for instance) use SQLite on weird embedded platforms and can't use
> the normal Unix primitives for access to permanent storage.

Exactly, it is the underlying OS API which was revamped in SQLite 3.5.
It doesn't hurt the on-disk format and it also usually doesn't affect
any SQLite based applications like Monotone -- at least as long as
one doesn't fiddle around with the underlying OS-related SQLite API
(which is not the case for Monotone). Even in OpenPKG I've not found any
application which was broken after the SQLite 3.4 to 3.5 upgrade.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       address@hidden
                                       www.engelschall.com