[Monotone-devel] Re: summit flag day?

From: Lapo Luchini
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: summit flag day?
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 20:15:58 +0200

Koen Kooi wrote:
Please ensure that new mtn releases can still talk to 'old' releases over netsync

Some of the changes I mentioned can allow this, some other simply do not...

As far as I know netsync (i.e. very little) changing the hash to something that's not 20 byte long will necessarily break it. The same can probably be said about changing certificate format. And changing the way keys are referred to probably also.

OTOH changing the compression or diff algorithm should be a netsync-compatible change (but also the less important of the 4 I mentioned, IMvHO).

Those are, of course, my ideas of possible mtn improvements, it doesn't mean they will be agreed upon or actually implemented... not without some discussion in any case =)

The new certificate format should IMHO contain at least one 'version' byte, which also defines the hash algorithm used, so that he can be more future-proof (at the price of a single byte).

    Lapo