Re: [Monotone-devel] Inconsistent behaviour and others: clone vs. pull

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Inconsistent behaviour and others: clone vs. pull
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 16:52:52 +0200

Matthew Nicholson schrieb:
Dennis Schridde wrote:

(3)
clone takes a -b argument to specify the branch, while pull wants it as a normal argument.

The first time I used mtn clone, I found this a little strange too. Every command in monotone except the netsync commands uses the -b flag. Perhaps we should slowly transition mtn pull/push/sync to use -b instead of a branch pattern. Although this would also raise the issue of passing a branch pattern to -b which is not consistent with how -b works in the rest of monotone.

On the summit we've actually talked about the opposite: remove the various places where -b is used (f.e. commit -b) and replace the option's "special" functionality either by making it a first-class argument or by creating new commands (for commit -b some kind of 'mtn branch' or 'mtn switch' command).

Thomas.