Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: OpenEmbedded looking to jump ship

From: Justin Patrin
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: OpenEmbedded looking to jump ship
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 10:27:07 -0700

On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 12:26 AM, Stephen Leake
<address@hidden> wrote:
> "Justin Patrin" <address@hidden> writes:
>

> > The majority of complaints seem to be that "merge is broken". I
>  > honestly can't understand this argument. Merge in monotone has always
>  > been the part that makes the most sense to me. It seems likely that
>  > the people who say that mtn's merge is broken are not paying
>  > sufficient attention to what they're doing (such as fragmenting
>  > history by copying files, then renaming back to the original name).
>  > Most people seem to be having non-content conflicts, which, I must
>  > agree, is a part of monotone that is lacking in UI.
>
>  I proposed a new process for resolving non-content conflicts; see
>
>  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/monotone-devel/2008-04/msg00084.html
>
>  Would that help?

It looks like that would help but I'm sure it would need a UI built
into monotone. I'd also be worried about losing history on whicever
side is thrown away. This is where we'd need suturing. I'd also
suggest that this feature automatically set up the resolved_content_ws
for non-content-conflicts on files which have the same name and
content.

--
Justin Patrin