[Monotone-devel] Re: OpenEmbedded looking to jump ship

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: OpenEmbedded looking to jump ship
Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 17:21:59 +0100

Thomas Keller <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> Oh, I'm sure we're all quite happy to accept your patches, detailed
> bug reports and are of course willing to look over any feature
> branches you may have been prepared!

AFAIK there's no reason to believe that the people complaining have
any interest in developing version control systems.  Rather, they're
indicating that monotone seems like it's getting in the way more than
git would.

I'm sure there's a "the grass is greener..." element to this, but it
sounds like they're using git so probably have some experience of its
irritations.

> Sorry, but just ranting that "something doesn't work" or "something is
> missing" doesn't bring you anywhere if you're working with an Open
> Source tool. Monotone is a small, nice revision control system. We
> don't have the man power or even following of git or mercurial.

Well, no.

But if OpenEmbedded actually does jump ship, surely it's of value to
understand why?  And you're not necessarily going to get detailed bug
reports (let alone branches or patches) since some of these things
because, well, some of these things are feature requests, and probably
the potential writers of such things don't care---they're quite happy
just to switch and use git.

The issues may not be fixable, of course---maybe OpenEmbeeded really
would just be better using git.  But that ought to be valuable to
understand, too, so you know who's likely to be a satisfied user and
who's not.