Re: [Monotone-devel] Bug #21545 -- really annoying

From: William Uther
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Bug #21545 -- really annoying
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 12:52:32 +1000

On 22/05/2008, at 11:09 PM, Richard Levitte wrote:

In message <address@hidden> on Thu, 22 May 2008 07:17:05 -0500, Matthew Nicholson <address@hidden> said:

matt> Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
matt> > Yury Polyanskiy wrote:
matt> >> Please consider this bug... It always causes problems when updating matt> >> upstream releases: you update, make a tag then realize that something
matt> >> was missing and you have to add the tag again.
matt> > Hm.. I see your point. However, there is 'mtn add -- recursive', which you might want to use together with '--missing'.
matt> >
matt>
matt> I got hit by the same problem recently before I realized i
matt> needed --recursive.  Does it make sense to make this recursive
matt> by default?

We've had this discussion before, as I recall...

Maybe we'd need to have a section in the manual explaining the
rationale behind choices like these.

Personally, I currently prefer to have to say something explicit than
have a "surprise" addition of files just because I forgot that it was
recursive by default...

Well, at the moment we have the surprise non-addition of files. I've been
bitten by this to.

Perhaps a warning is all that is needed.  When adding an
unknown directory, check if it has any files in it.  If it does
then print a warning that you might want to either a) call
add --unknown again to add just one more level or use
--recursive in future.

That way it is clear what is going on.

Cheers,

Will        :-}