Re: [Monotone-devel] case insensitive file names

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] case insensitive file names
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 10:28:50 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Wed, 18 Jun 2008 03:46:25 -0400, Stephen Leake
<address@hidden> said:

stephen_leake> There are a couple of issues here.
stephen_leake>
stephen_leake> First, mtn should use a case-insensitive file name
stephen_leake> compare. More precisely, it should use whatever file
stephen_leake> name compare the actual file system uses; that may be a
stephen_leake> case-sensitive NFS on Windows, for example. That would
stephen_leake> require a standard API for checking file name equality;
stephen_leake> is there such a thing? Trying to actually create two
stephen_leake> files and seeing if an error results would work, but
stephen_leake> probably be too slow.

I don't know about such an API, and either way it wouldn't help you.
If the files FOO and foo are two different files, I don't see why they
should be treated the same.  The issue isn't really with monotone,
it's much bigger.  You run into similar kinds of trouble with ftp.

stephen_leake> Second, why does 'update' care if some files are
stephen_leake> missing? They will be restored or not as appropriate by
stephen_leake> the update anyway. In the current use case, this check
stephen_leake> just gets in the way. I'll start another thread for
stephen_leake> that.

No, 'update' doesn't restore files, it merges changes into files that
exist in the workspace.  If that change is a rename, it needs the
original file to perform the rename.  If the change is a few added
lines somewhere, it needs the original file (which might have been
changed in the workspace as well) to make that change.

Cheers,
Richard

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/

                                                -- C.S. Lewis