Re: [Monotone-devel] conflict resolution commands

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] conflict resolution commands
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 23:55:15 +0200

Hi Stephen,

sorry for the late reply - trying to catch up with your emails ;)

> An example session would be (leaving out the 'mtn' from each command):
>
> merge
>     -- gives conflicts.
>
> conflicts store <left> <right>
>     -- rev ids copied from merge output, or use selectors.
>     -- content conflicts that can be handled by the internal merger
>     -- have resolutions of 'resolved_internal' at this point.
>
> conflicts show_first
>     -- decide how to handle it.
>     -- if resolution requires a user-merged file, use your favorite
>     -- merger now, store result in _MTN/resolutions/*, or anywhere.
>
> conflicts resolve_first <resolution>
>     -- template of appropriate <resolution> is given by show_first;
>     -- copy, paste, edit it here.
>
> -- repeat show_first, resolve_first until done.
>
> merge --resolve-conflicts-file=_MTN/conflicts
>     -- success!
>

> Comments?

I miss two things:

a) a way to list conflicts (show_conflicts is not useful any longer if
some of the conflicts have already been resolved)

b) a plan for some kind of nice "prompt the user for a resolution" UI
because I think individual verbs are very hard to remember in these
conflict situations

> There seems to be a convention that command names use underscores,
> while options use dashes; is that correct/desired?

At least HACKING proposes dashes for options, but doesn't say anything
about commands. But yes, you're right, there is this kind of
"convention" in the current code that commands are only separated by
underscores, and not dashes.

Other than that, I wondered if its generally possible to have more than
a single conflict on a single node and how the code behaves when
conflicting resolutions are chosen, f.e. a content conflict and a rename
conflict. There must not be the resolution "drop the node" for any of
these two because the other conflict wouldn't get handled, right?

Thomas.