Re: [Monotone-devel] Performance Issues With Version 0.40

From: aecooper
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Performance Issues With Version 0.40
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 00:12:24 +0100 (BST)

> On Sat, 2008-08-30 at 00:50 +0100, Anthony Edward Cooper wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>>     I have recently been trying out version 0.40 of Monotone with the
>> application I'm developing (uses the automate stdio i/f) and I noticed a
>> very noticeable drop in the performance of the get_content_changed
>> command. I use it, not surprisingly, to get last changed details for
>> files in file listings and file histories etc. When compared with 0.39
>> or earlier, it is approximately 5 times slower.
>>
>>     Is someone already looking at this or should I raise a bug report?
>
> Running lots (500) of get_content_changed commands thru automate stdio,
> it seems to be around 1 1/2 times slower here. There's about a 46%
> speedup from hand-coding decode_hexenc (instead of using Botan), about
> 38% from making the db variable in the get_content_changed command
> static (I think most of this is because initializing the db each time
> includes verifying the schema each time), and about 8% from hand-coding
> encode_hexenc. Together these bring it back to about the same speed as
> in 0.39, but making the db static is just a performance-test hack and
> not a proper solution.

Would it be an idea to introduce a sort of `start transaction' / `stop
transaction' automate stdio command sequence that would in effect cache
handles and other stuff that would otherwise have to be validated each
time. Then an app that knows its going to do intensive stuff for a short
while could use this to speed up repetative operarions. If these commands
are not used then it behaves as now?...

Would you like me to raise a change request wrt to slowdown?

>>     Secondly, if I want to add a utility to the contrib directory under
>> net.venge.montone can I just submit the revision on the head or would
>> you like a separate branch that someone in charge can merge in? I have
>> write access already as I have been developing on two other branches but
>> just wanted to check first. The utility is just a very small perl script
>> (not the larger application I was referring to above) so I guess it will
>> be one file added, the README file in the contrib directory updated and
>> something added to the news file (or does the build manager do that
>> bit?).
>
> Just add it, I don't think anyone here is that picky.

Great ok - didn't know if there was a process to go through etc. Will do.

Cheers, Tony.