[Monotone-devel] Re: [RFC] move unversioned files out of the way

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: [RFC] move unversioned files out of the way
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 18:27:01 +0100

address@hidden writes:

> On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 12:09:20PM +0200, Thomas Keller wrote:
>> Stephen Leake schrieb:

>> > I think you mean "switch to another branch/revision in the same workspace".
>>
>> Yep, you're right. It was late that day...
>
> I'm having difficulty understanding the rationale for this feature.
> What I wonder is, why not start a new workspace for a different branch?

It depends how big/costly a workspace is, and why you want to visit a
different branch.

If you're working on OpenOffice and you want to review a patch from
someone, then switching inside a workspace is (presuming a good enough
build system) going to be vastly cheaper than creating a new
workspace.

Of course, if you often find yourself doing that kind of thing then
arguably it would make sense to have a couple of workspaces on the go.
I'm not sure there's going to be an argument convincing to everyone
that this is useful, but some people seem to like to work this way,
even though there might be alternatives that (to you) seem better.