Re: [Monotone-devel] Questions about Monotone

From: Daniel Carrera
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Questions about Monotone
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 21:16:59 +0200

Tero Koskinen wrote:
From the documentation I get the impression that the original branch and the new branch for Feature A both reside in the *same* directory.

Branches are put in the same *database*.

And you can have two different directories with different branches, right? I think I figured out the right work-flow. Tell me if I got it right:

# Make one DB. This DB is shared by all branches.
mtn db init --db=~/foo.mtn

# Make two directories: main branch and testing.
mtn --db=foo.mtn --branch=com.foo.main setup main
mtn --db=foo.mtn --branch=com.foo.test setup test

# Do some work on the testing branch (Feature A).
cd ~/test
... do stuff ...
mtn commit   # mtn knows that this goes in com.foo.test

# Ooops. Boss wants a quick chane (Issue B). Do it in "main".
cd ~/main
... add quick feature ...
mtn commit   # mtn knows that this goes in com.foo.main

# Ok, back to what I was doing before (Feature A).
# But first, copy those changes from main (Issue B).
cd ~/test
mtn propagate com.foo.main com.foo.test
... do stuff ...

So that last step with mtn will take the changes from the main branch (Issue B) and merge them into the testing branch. It can do this because the shared database has the work from both branches.

Did I get everything right? I think this work-flow should work well for what I need.

Cheers,
Daniel.