Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone server

From: Phil Hannent
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone server
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 10:43:11 +0100

Daniel Carrera wrote:
> I like the idea of having monotone repository on the server. Even for a
> one-developer project I think it's useful.
>
> Now, my web host is not going to open a TCP port or allow a new server
> application on a shared host. Am I right to think that the SSH tunnel
> gets around these restrictions? If I can SSH, I can use monotone on the
> server, right?
I am not sure if it fits your usage however I am using Dropbox [1] for
transporting my monotone database around.  It is smart in that it will only sync
the parts of a file that has changed.

However this clearly has some issues in that it cannot scale massively and
sharing with other users is not really possible.  However you do get roaming
access to the monotone database.  It was my solution to not being able to run a
public monotone server.

Regards
Phil Hannent

[1] http://www.getdropbox.com