Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Monotone server

From: Daniel Carrera
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Monotone server
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 19:42:55 +0200

Derek Scherger wrote:
On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 4:04 AM, Daniel Carrera <address@hidden Now, suppose that the server files have been tampered. What should I
    do to have Monotone check the integrity of the server? With my
    current system I have no way to do that and I think that integrity
    checks would be a nice feature to have.

When I read this I wondered which server files you're worrying about. If you mean the files that have been checked out (which are those that make up the live website) then 'mtn status' will tell you if there are any local changes and 'mtn diff' will tell you what they are. Maybe that's not what you mean though.

Yes, that's what I want. And 'mtn status' and 'mtn diff' should do. Of course, that only works if the hypothetical attacker can't run 'mtn commit' himself. I imagine that there is a way to only allow changes signed by my private key which is not kept on the server. Of course, the attacker could make a new database and switch the live site directory to point to that other database. But then I would notice that because next time I commit to my database and run 'mtn update' on the server the files would not be updated.

Anyways, I am not actually paranoid about security. I just like it when the programs I use have some assurances. Same reason why I prefer SSH over FTP.

Daniel.