[Monotone-devel] advice, please, on organising branches

From: hendrik
Subject: [Monotone-devel] advice, please, on organising branches
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 03:04:43 -0400

I'm working on in a compiler that will at some time have multiple code
generators.  These will target different so-called machine-independent
intermediate codes, and will be appropriate in different execution
environments.

The obvious way to organise this is as a tree of branches

       /|\
      / | \
     J  L  C

where A is the ancestral compiler with a skeletal code generator (which
generates no code), and where J, L, and C are the same skeletal code
generator fleshed out to the different intermediate codes.

A bug in L could, for example, be fixed in L of in A depending on how
branch-specific it is, and then merged into J and L.  That's one of the
recommended best practices on the wiki.

The trouble is that what I have checked in now is the code for the J
branch, and the code for the A branch does not exist (and never has).

I'd have to build a common ancestor A from J, and then spawn L and C.

How awkward!

Now I could just discard J as a separate branch, since its target
intermediate code is technically obsolete and has no surviving
implementation (the compiler is ancient; so is J) and just derive

        |\
        | \
        L  C

or even

        |\
        | \
        L  C

which would be technically more honest.

Could anyone advise which organisation they consider better?  Or is
there another I'm missing completely?

-- hendrik