Re: [Monotone-devel] question: remote checkout and remote checkin

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] question: remote checkout and remote checkin
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 09:53:44 +0200

Hugo Cornelis schrieb:
> I was wondering if it is possible to do remote checkout / checkin operations ?
>
> If I understand the manual correctly it cannot be done at the moment,
> and one always has to pull a full database before doing a first
> checkout ?
>
> Is there something I miss ?

One could probably do such a thing with some scripting effort and Thomas
Moschny's automate stdio wrapper server-side (which resides in
net.venge.monotone.trac-plugin.twisted afair). But would currently
require that you'd have to emulate the commit / checkout logic on your
local client (ie. For commit call multiple times `mtn automate
put_file`, then `mtn automate put_revision` to save your created
revision text. Later certs need to be added by hand as well, via `mtn
automate cert`.)

Checkout is similar, get the manifest of a revision to fetch (ie. `mtn
automate get_manifest_of`) and then call `mtn automate get_file` for
each of the entries of the manifest. Of course to make this "checkout"
result in a valid workspace, you need to write out _MTN/revision and
_MTN/options as well.

I guess you still need to have some local database in place, because the
workspace would otherwise not be usable. And I guess there are other
caveats I've missed which make the whole thing even harder.

Thomas.