[Monotone-devel] Re: WARNING: ~/.monotone/keys CONSIDERED HARMFUL

From: Lapo Luchini
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: WARNING: ~/.monotone/keys CONSIDERED HARMFUL
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 12:43:03 +0200

Robert White wrote:
> Howdy all,
>
> I don't know who decided that .monotone/keys was a good idea but it is
> a DISASTER for me.
>
> For various reasons It is desirable to use the same real world
> identity, q.v. address@hidden, in several different databases with
> different keys behind them for each database.  This is hugely
> unworkable with one default keystore. This was not previously a problem.
> [...]
> If you don't believe in these use cases, consider contractors who may
> need to keep work separate for different employers but will want to
> use their one business email address for all their business;

OK, using (the same) e-mail addresses in different keys may pose
additional hurdles, but why using e-mail addresses in the first place?

There is nothing, in monotone, forcing IDs to be e-mail addresses, it's
just an habit, a suggestion of the tutorial… should it be stated more
explicitly that's just a suggestion and no check is done in that regard
and that really nowhere a keyid is assumed to be a real e-mail address?

In your case, being forced to use a different key for each project, I'd
personally use "key_<projectName>" or something in the sort, and
probably a bash alias to automatically -k with the correct one.

Also, I think an all-caps *HARMFUL* Subject is something (quite) a bit
stronger than "uh, you inadvertently broke my use-case"… I'm not saying
this isn't a problem for you, only that *HARMFUL* sounds to me better
suited for a big security or data-loss problem… but maybe it's just me =)

--
Lapo Luchini - http://lapo.it/

“Real Programmers always confuse Christmas and Halloween because Oct31
== Dec25.” (Andrew Rutherford)