Re: [Monotone-devel] Lua loading dynamic libraries not possible in monot

From: Markus Wanner
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Lua loading dynamic libraries not possible in monotone?
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 22:19:14 +0200

Hi,

Alex Sandro Queiroz e Silva wrote:
> Markus Hanauska wrote:
>> The platform itself supports this. When downloading and building Lua
>> command line interpreter, I can run the code and it works just fine.

Yeah, it has been intentionally disabled here:

> Revision: db3a7b999139a8c005b76b172496e15b276e39db
> Ancestor: caaff5d316a3bd5636529a94fd075aba76963583
> Author: address@hidden
> Date: 2006-08-15T16:08:10
> Branch: net.venge.monotone
>
> Deleted entries:
>         m4/popt.m4
> Modified files:
>         ChangeLog configure.ac lua/luaconf.h m4/boost.m4 options.hh
>
> ChangeLog:
>
>       * configure.ac: Delete MTN_POPT_DEPENDENCIES.  Add strptime to
>       main AC_CHECK_FUNCS list (this is the only thing that
>       MTN_POPT_DEPENDENCIES checked for, that was used outside popt).
>       Also add lrint to this list.  Delete AC_SEARCH_LIBS for libdl.
>       * lua/luaconf.h: Include config.h. Set LUA_USE_POSIX if _WIN32 is
>       not defined.  Add versions of lua_number2int and lua_number2integer
>       that use the C99 lrint() function; remove the unreliable union hack.
>       At end of file, forcibly undefine all LUA_DL_* macros to ensure
>       that lualib.cc uses the stub implementation.
>       * m4/popt.m4: Delete file.
>       * m4/boost.m4: Create a new macro to factor out code in common
>       among most of the MTN_BOOST_LIB_* macros.
>       * options.hh: Fix typo.

>      If I remember correctly, it was turned off for security reasons.

If that's the case, it's another thing I'd have to check when building
monotone against the lua system library, because that one quite
certainly has dynamic module loading enabled.

However, I don't quite understand why it should be a security issue. All
hooks are user defined, so what should preventing dynamic loading
protect against? Maybe it's rather a simplification for portability? Zack?

@Markus: maybe you want to try my net.venge.monotone.stripped branch,
which links against a system provided lua 5.1 library. That one should
be capable of loading dynamic libraries. (And I'm curious if you can get
nvm.stripped to compile on MacOS X. ;-) )

Regards

Markus Wanner