Re: [Monotone-devel] 3rd party libraries

From: Markus Wanner
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] 3rd party libraries
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 17:57:21 +0200

Hi,

Stephen Leake wrote:
> Obviously we don't want to re-compile the system library.
>
> But is there some reason it wasn't compiled with C++ in the first place?

Uh.. because if compiled by a C compiler, it's still usable from C++,
but not the other way around, AFAICT. Besides, I'd guess there are more
C users of that library than C++.

> There seems to be an assumption that system libraries are _not_
> compiled with C++.

For most libraries, there's no such choice. Lua is an exception in that
regard. And the default is compiling in C. Being able to compile in C++
is just an additional option or feature.

> I suspect that's because there is no system library naming convention
> that distinguishes between otherwise identical libraries, one compiled
> with C++, one with C.

Object symbols are also different.

Regards

Markus Wanner