Re: [Monotone-devel] Filesystem normalisation

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Filesystem normalisation
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 01:38:35 -0500

Stephen Leake <address@hidden> writes:

> As I understand it, your patch provides a hook that lets a user
> function rewrite a file path. So the hook would have to handle that
> case. I didn't see the actual hook code in your attachment; did I
> miss it somewhere?

I think I see the problem. In mtn, the term 'hook' means "a function
whose body is provided by the user as Lua code". In addition, all
hooks have a default Lua implementation.

However, you are using 'hook' to mean "a function with
platform-specific behavior". And there is code in fs.cc that is
specific to MACOSX.

I'm not clear what that code does (since I don't have a MAC); does it
return a matching file name that currently exists? Does it preserve
case, or always return lowercase or uppercase?

In order to accomodate different filesystems on one platform (via NFS
or some other mechanism), I think this function needs to be a
user-provided Lua hook, with a default that works for Win32, Linux, and
MAC OSX native filesystems.

--
-- Stephe