Re: [Monotone-devel] Filesystem normalisation

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Filesystem normalisation
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 08:25:42 -0500

Stephen Leake <address@hidden> writes:

> "Zack Weinberg" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> No comment on anything else right now, but ...
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 10:38 PM, Stephen Leake
>> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> In order to accomodate different filesystems on one platform (via NFS
>>> or some other mechanism), I think this function needs to be a
>>> user-provided Lua hook, with a default that works for Win32, Linux, and
>>> MAC OSX native filesystems.
>>
>> ... this really shouldn't be necessary.  If the filename validation
>> logic (however it works, and whatever the necessary division of labor
>> is between monotone and the OS) is properly designed, it will be aware
>> of different file systems and do the right thing.  The hook you
>> suggest is asking users to fix our bugs for us.
>
> This is true; if there exists a function that returns an
> existing filename that matches a candidate, preserving case, no matter
> what the actual filesystem is, then that's all we need.

Actually, I take this back. If the goal is to prevent checking in
files that violate the project naming convention (ie, unique on
Windows), then a developer working on Linux must be subject to the
Windows filename rules. That requires a user hook.

Hmm. I guess it could be a global option that chooses from a
predefined set of rules for Linux, Windows, MAC OSX. But a hook lets
projects define other conventions, such as "all lowercase except
Makefiles" (my current convention, not very well enforced).

--
-- Stephe