Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone-0.41 compile failure with glibc(disabled-n

From: Philipp Gröschler
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone-0.41 compile failure with glibc(disabled-nls)
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 19:53:06 +0100

Markus Wanner schrieb:
How do I build the glibc *without* it? Does the following help?
# USE="-nls" emerge glibc

You can check with
# USE="-nls" emerge -av glibc
so that portage prints out what it would do. If it accepts the use flag, the output should look like

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] sys-libs/glibc-2.6.1  USE="gd (multilib) -debug (-hardened) -nls*
(-selinux) ...."

> Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]

Use flags in parentheses are overrided by the system profile. The asterisk behind "-nls" shows the difference to the currently installed version. My profile is "default/linux/amd64/2008.0/desktop".

If NLS still would be compiled in, try
# eselect profile list
and chose "hardened/linux/x86" (or whatever architecture is appropriate). Not 100% sure if that helps, but on when I tried this on my virtual box a few days ago, NLS was disabled globally. Disabling it for only the glibc could get you into serious trouble, I guess. Sometimes Gentoo is a little bit goatish ;-)

Good luck!

Philipp