Re: [Monotone-devel] git fast-export

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] git fast-export
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 14:11:04 +0100

Derek Scherger schrieb:
> I've spent a bit of holiday hacking time working on a git_export command
> for monotone, more as an experiment than anything else. I've committed
> the result to net.venge.monotone.fast-export for people to have a look
> at. [...]

Hi Derek!

I scanned over your patch and noticed only a little quirk: you've
introduced yet another command group ("git"); wouldn't it be better to
collect all the different import/export functions under one common
group, like the existing rcs ("revision control systems") or, to avoid
the RCS analogy, "vcs"?

Other than that I think you're right that people should have the choice
what to use, and at least some need for a mtn -> git conversion tool
popped up a few times on the list. Since git seems to become the "new
big thing" its formats will probably be more wildly used than ours, so
even people who stick to monotone will have something from this. (F.e.
code_swarm [0] has a git-mode to render the pretty videos, though the
XML format [1] it needs as input is easy enough to create even with a
custom lua command...)

Thomas.

[0] http://vis.cs.ucdavis.edu/~ogawa/codeswarm/
[1]