Re: [Monotone-devel] wiki

From: Thomas Moschny
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] wiki
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 20:17:07 +0100

Hi Markus,

Markus Wanner wrote:
> ugh.. am I working on the wrong branch for editing the wiki
> (net.venge.monotone.web.ikiwiki)?

Beware - the nvm.web.ikiwiki branch has been merged back to nvm.web and
suspended. Could you please propagate your last change(s) and suspend
the branch again?

> How do I "compile" and test the wiki locally? Where's the documentation
> for it?

This is explained in wiki/ikiwiki_migration.mdwn (rendered version here:
http://monotone.ca/wiki/ikiwiki_migration/).

> Isn't the purpose of a wiki to be simple to edit and easy to search
> through? Sorry, but I currently miss both functions. But maybe I'm just
> looking at the wrong places...  please help!

Well, the migration to ikiwiki has been started on the last summit. The
wiki being part of our Monotone database seems to be a great advantage
compared to the old system. Also, ikiwiki's way of rendering the page
contents only once, when the source has been changed, sounds like a good
idea to me.

Eventually we'll have a CGI-based mechanism for editing (and committing
to) the wiki, if that's what you are missing. But before installing that
that we need to be sure that we can prevent any spamming.

Regards,
Thomas