[Monotone-devel] Light The Touch Paper And RUN! :-)

From: Anthony Edward Cooper
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Light The Touch Paper And RUN! :-)
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 13:36:28 +0000

   Hi peeps,

A small question. Why is monotone at version 0.42 (listed as alpha on freshmeat)? I know that development is ongoing and all that. But what is there now (bar that little bugget to do with select that reports errors on syncing), is VERY stable. In fact dare I say, more stable than some other similar products that have been released for some time.

Would it not be an idea to have a bug fix only release and release it at 1.0? I have a nasty feeling that other systems are going to get more widely adopted just because of a release number...

On another completely different point. I heard rumours about a locking issue when using mtn au and syncing. Is this still an issue (I haven't had any issues myself with 0.42)?

If there are issues with mtn au keeping the database open, then this may have been related to a request by me to make things go faster when using mtn au get_content_changed (slowed right down in 0.40 and 0.41). I believe that db context is now left open between au commands.

If locking is an issue, could one not introduce a lock/unlock command via mtn au that would keep context whilst locked and would only unlock when the unlock command was given or the process exited. If au commands were given without a lock then locking would be done just for that command (as before). Therefore I as a user of mtn au can choose to use a lock/unlock sequence when I know I am going to be making zillions of requests.

As I said, 0.42 is fine performance wise and I have had no issues with locking myself. It's just that a friend of mine has been using mtn trac and setting that up and apparently that has an issue. Sorry if this is out of date info or wrong....

   Many thanks,

   Tony.

--
If at first you don't succeed... Delegate.

Pay a visit to my home page at:
http://www.coosoft.plus.com