[Monotone-devel] bug report - running Monotone under Windows XP fails if

From: João Felipe Santos
Subject: [Monotone-devel] bug report - running Monotone under Windows XP fails if user account path has non-ascii characters
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 11:39:00 -0200

Hello,

I tried to run monotone (0.41 and 0.42) under a second Windows machine
(my first had an English Windows XP install and everything worked).
One of the bugs I found is already registered at the bug list, but I
could not find a bug report for the other one. The first error message
appears when I try to run mtn from the C: (root) and my userdir has
non-ascii characters on the path (like C:\Documents and
Settings\João\My Documents):

---
C:\Windows\System32>mtn
mtn: error: failed to convert string from UTF-8 to ASCII: 'C:/Documents and Sett
ings/JoÒo/Dados de aplicativos/monotone/dump'

(note that the "ã" character appears as Ò here)
---

Then I tried changing to other logical partition and running it again:

---
C:\Windows\System32>d:

D:\>mtn
?: fatal: std::logic_error: ../monotone-0.41/paths.cc:303: invariant 'I(!is_abso
lute_here(inT))' violated
?: this is almost certainly a bug in monotone.
?: please send this error message, the output of '? version --full',
?: and a description of what you were doing to address@hidden
?: discarding debug log, because I have nowhere to write it
?: (maybe you want --debug or --dump?)

D:\>mtn version --full
?: fatal: std::logic_error: ../monotone-0.41/paths.cc:303: invariant 'I(!is_abso
lute_here(inT))' violated
?: this is almost certainly a bug in monotone.
?: please send this error message, the output of '? version --full',
?: and a description of what you were doing to address@hidden
?: discarding debug log, because I have nowhere to write it
?: (maybe you want --debug or --dump?)
---

The error messages running 0.42 are the same.

If I try to use a username without special characters on it,
everything works as expected. I am wishing to help debugging this
issue. If any other information is needed, please ask me and I will
submit it.

-- João