Re: [Monotone-devel] log options and staying on the current branch

From: Daniel Carosone
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] log options and staying on the current branch
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 16:03:50 +1100

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 09:22:21PM -0700, Derek Scherger wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 12:17 PM, Daniel Carosone <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > If only there was some more generic and existing syntax that allowed
> > us to select interesting revisions...
>
> ... that was used by log to specify the set of revisions to be listed.

Heh, well, yeah :)

> Maybe that's the real problem though and I should go see what I can do about
> teaching log to work with selectors. Off hand I'm not sure how these would
> play with --from and --to?. Maybe not at all and you either specify
> --from/--to or some selectors?

I dunno.. ISTM that they all are ways of adjusting the result set.

 --select: add the matching revs
 --from:   add descendants of the matching revs
 --to:     prune descendants of the matching revs.

If they're applied in the above order (or in order specified?) then
there's a meaningful interpretation of what the set should be -
whether or not it woul ever get used in practice is a different
issue.

> It would certainly be nice to be able to log a specific set of revs like
> "those on this branch two days ago". It would also be nice to be able to say
> "log --updated" and have that list all revisions that the last update
> brought into the current workspace. Update would have to cooperate for this
> to work, by recording the base rev id before it changes things.

Nice idea, some kind of workspace history of previous state(s)..

> I recall reading something about lapo documenting a BNF (?) syntax for a new
> selector language. Does anyone have a pointer to this handy?

Not BNF, it was some funny gui drag-n-drool tool, but I forget what.

> At the very least, as a simplified default if we want to prune side
> > branches, I'd like to see the one side revision (or branch name?)
> > diverging off or merging in, similar to how monotone-viz shows it.
>
> Are you saying that you would be ok with what I have on this branch if it
> also logged these additional revs?

Hm.  I'm saying:

- this might be a useful output format. it certainly is for
monotone-viz, at least in the richer display environment available
there. however, if that's what you want, you know where to get it.

- I'd probably object less to this output format as a default, than to
the only-on-branch format, if indeed a default was to be changed at
all, and if indeed my opinion mattered at all.

> I can imagine this being useful sometimes
> but at the moment I think I would prefer just seeing revs from the branch
> I'm on and no others. I guess that means this should be an option of some
> sort and we can argue what the default should be.

Sure, we can meet to have that discussion in the same place as I store
my bike. Bring paint! :-)

--
Dan.