Re: [Monotone-devel] [bug #25859] disapprove does not resurrect files pr

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] [bug #25859] disapprove does not resurrect files properly
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 12:50:21 -0400

Ludovic Brenta <address@hidden> writes:

> I just filed a new bug: http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?25859

This is a result of the current die-die-die merge algorithm.

It might be possible to improve things so this bug goes away with the
current code.

> I still use 0.40 and I would like to know:
>
> - whether Stephe Leake's file suturing work solves this bug

It would.

> - whether it is merged

I assume "it" here is the file suturing; no, it is not in main.

> - which release of monotone contains or will contain it

Probably none.

I started working on file suturing because I wanted a simple way to
handle duplicate name conflicts. After several months work, I realized
it was _not_ simple! So I implemented the current 'conflicts' commands
instead.

I'm not clear if using the conflicts commands would solve your bug
above; I suspect not.

I have no plans to resume working on file suturing.

File suturing is an interesting idea, but it has many deep
consequences, and I don't think it's worth the effort.

At the moment, the branch nvm.automate_show_conflict contains the file
suturing code. It is significantly out of date with main, and would be
painful to merge. There are tests, so it might be possible, if someone
wants to pursue it.

--
-- Stephe